Tuesday 23 August 2011

What does "Contact Dermatitis" look like?

This.

Those diseased looking things are my hands. I've been living with that giant red spot on my right hand for at least a year and a half now. The first time I ever experienced this was in the spring of 2010 while I was working as a supervisor at a liquor store. These extremely dry, red, ITCHY, oval-shaped spots showed up on my thumbs. I figured it was due to constantly handling cardboard boxes, and constantly dealing with dust. Maybe an allergic reaction? They were bright red, flakey, and cracking from being so dry. I put heavy duty cream on them and eventually they went away. But then they came back.

I soon noticed that I was developing this huge red spot on the top of my right hand after practices and games. This spot would flare up and go away repeatedly, once again it was dry and so itchy, but I didn't see a doctor about it until months later when I found out I was pregnant and was experiencing a particularly intense flare up. I figured it was possibly a fungal infection from my wrist guards, since they are the Triple 8 "Hired Hands" that I had started using within the last 6 months of this rash showing up. The Hired Hands are comparable to fingerless gloves, so lot's of hand coverage, and I was sure throwing them into the washing machine wasn't likely getting them as clean as I'd like to think. The doctor said it was definitely not fungal, but more of an eczema type thing with a small infection, and she prescribed me a yeast cream. I thought this was strange, as I have no history of eczema and it's rare to be seen in adults, but I was willing to try anything.

Triple 8 Hired Hand wristguards. These gloves are fantastic, but to my skin, an irritant.


The first few days this mildly helped, but fast started to sting when I'd apply it, and the reaction just kept coming back still as strong. I stopped using the cream and eventually the spot calmed down but never went away. I wasn't playing derby anymore, so I attributed it to insane pregnancy hormones. But then the spot came back with a fury, and I developed other patches on my hands while I was working in a tattoo shop as a counter girl. I'd spend much of my time in nitrile gloves while cleaning, and assembling sterilized tubes, which was a huge chunk of every work day.  Not to mention I was washing my hands constantly. My hands would sting after I took off the gloves, and would get extremely dry from washing, and although having hand cream at my desk helped that irritation, it did nothing to completely relieve me.

Elastik brand examination gloves. Powder free, and not latex, but still irritating to my skin.

By this time I knew the constant glove wearing and hand washing was the irritating factor with my hands, but there was nothing I could do for them as I couldn't just stop wearing gloves and washing my hands in a tattoo shop. By the time I went on maternity leave my hands found some relief and calmed down since they weren't in gloves anymore. But going back to Roller Derby practice two weeks after having my daughter, they flared all over again. It's been 3 months since then and as you can see I now have these patches all over my hands, the itch is so intense it keeps me up at night. 

I did some searching online along the lines of "roller derby wrist guard rash" and found a question posted on Yahoo by a fellow roller derby girl describing the exact same symptoms, who wore the exact same wrist guards. I bit the bullet and went to the doctor that same day. Immediately just by looking at my hands he knew right away it was contact dermatitis. I was prescribed a strong steroid cream, and told to wear wool gloves underneath my wrist guards when I wear them, anything to keep the material off of my skin. 

It's been a week and my hands are starting to heal. I have a light scar underneath that will never go away, but they're healing. I had no idea what was wrong for so long and didn't do much to be proactive about it, and I would have given anything to see something like this to give me an idea of what it could be.
 My right hand a week later


If you experience anything like this and think it may be related to your protective gear, try wearing thick gloves/arm-warmers underneath them when you practice and see if that helps. Keep the area clean at all times, and wash your gear after every practice. Something that didn't fix the problem, but helped soothe my skin in the meantime, was using an After Sun aloe spray and using unscented Aveeno cream. And lastly, don't wait to see a doctor, certainly not over a year like I did.

Try these for temporary relief.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, great post. I have the same thing that has just started flaring up. I knew right away that it was from my wrist guards because the spots are right where the hard part of the wrist guard hits into my hand. It's getting worse and worse after every practice (not much time in-between to heal)

    After reading your post and then looking into it a little more there are some things I'd love to know and also to share.

    I also have triple 8 guards but there the slide on ones they are also too big for me. I had the normal ones before and i never had any issues. I wonder if the correlation with the slide on and the hired hands is that they are always in the same place on the hand.

    How do you care for your guards? I have been religiously spraying mine with febreze after every practice and leaving them air dry. I'm thinking now that its not form the bacteria but maybe from the chemicals in the febreze.

    I'm going to try to rinse them from now on and well as using gloves. I can't afford to go to the doctor until have a few ailments, so I’ll keep an eye on it for now, and with the knowledge from your post in the back of my mind I'll make sure not to leave it too long.

    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thank you for your comment!! I've been wearing the hired hands since 2009, but didn't start getting a reaction until early 2010. I honestly don't wash them as often as I should, but when I do I just threw them in the washing machine.

    When I went to a doctor he said he knew it wasn't bacterial or fungal because the symptoms would be different. The fact that it was flared up and itchy alone said it was a contact thing.

    I use a steroid cream and wear gloves under my hired hands and I still have reactions. I'm starting to think the hired hands I have just need to go into the garbage. I'm also considering just going and seeing a dermatologist.

    I'm going to try my regular 187 wrist guards for a while and see if anything changes. If it does, or doesn't, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get this too, all over my knees. At night I have itched so bad that I bleed.

    I'm sure it's caused by my gaskets, but I have no idea what to do about it. I've tried wearing leggings, and I've tried a sock between my knee and the gasket, and neither worked. I have steriod cream but using it too often freaks me out.

    Do we really just have to live with this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dixie, I completely understand what you mean about the steroid cream, it freaked me out too and really just calmed my hands down but didn't get rid of it.

    I still haven't had my hands looked at by anyone else than the few doctors I saw, but something that has SERIOUSLY helped my hands has been Aveeno Intensive Cream. Its got a maroon colored stripe on it. It really helped calm my hands down. Other than that, going to Toronto completely cured my hands. The moisture in the air totally turned them back to normal. But since I don't live in Toronto, Aveeno it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. I've been wondering why the top of my wrist has been itching for a while now. I'm darker skinned so the itch area wasn't so easy to spot since it didn't turn red, but I knew something was up. I'll try these remedies and see if they help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this post! I retired years ago but got my pads back out this summer to start skating again. I thought I was just getting hives from where the pads rubbed, took me weeks to finally go to the doc after sleepless itchy nights. Just got the steroid cream and definitely picking up that after sun care. Glad to know I am not alone and that yours cleared up! My doctor also told me to try hypoallergenic detergent. Here's to washing the hell out of our pads!

    ReplyDelete